Saturday, October 13, 2007

Great discussion this morning!

Just wanted to give a shout out of thanks to M for facilitating this month's discussion about race. There were so many heartfelt and honest shares that it really made me proud to be a part of the Mamas & Papas. A topic like race can easily make people uncomfortable and I think everyone did their best to stretch their level of comfort while also maintaining a safe space to share.

We had 3 new families each with young infants this morning. Seeing their cute little babies almost makes me want another. Of course, after witnessing my 2 year old's meltdown in the restaurant we ate at afterwards, I realize that newborns do grow up and maybe I'm not in such a hurry after all! My hat's off to all you folks with more than one kid!

There were a number of written resources named during the session. I was thinking it would be a great idea to compile a bibliography of sorts. If you have any suggestions for the bibliography list, send them our way!

(posted by Shelli)

1 comment:

Janine deManda said...

the discussion was great, and i'm so glad we're making space as queer parents to have such conversations together. the written resources i referenced are included below:

~outsiders within: writing on transracial adoption, edited by jane jeong trenka, julia chinyere oparah, and sun yung shin

~as we are now: mixblood essays on race and identity, edited by william s. penn

~when nickels were indians: an urban mixed-blood story by patricia penn hilden

~walking with ghosts by qwo-li driskill