Thursday, October 18, 2007

Race and Nobel Prize Winners

I'm sorry I missed the discussion on race. the past discussions have always been so rewarding and i look forward to our continued discussions next year.

So today i saw a headline "Museum cancels race row scientist's talk". In an interview with the British press James Watson made ignorant and racist remarks. (He stated that africans were less intelligent that europeans.) I'm so glad that the London Science Museum had the good sense and courage to cancel his sold out lecture. And Cold Spring Harbor, the institution he is associated with was quick to denounce his statement. It saddens me though.

As a scientist, I know watson has a history of making arrogant, ignorant and hurtful remarks about race and gender and sexual orientation. his comments still sting. While I hope for a better world for our children this is just another reminder of how far we have to go until our worth is no longer judged by the color of our skin or our sexual orientation or other so irrelevant criteria.

submitted by terri

1 comment:

Guy said...

Cool, the first "guest blog post", thanks Terri!

My comment didn't post the other day, will see if this does.

Yeah, as my partner says about Watson, "unfortunately a Nobel Prize winner can still be very ignorant..." :(