Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Budget Cuts

I just read an article in the SF Chronicle about the Governor's sweeping cuts to HIV/AIDS services, healthy families, and the child welfare department - not to mention the potential loss of 100 state parks and other cuts.

The impacts of these budget cuts will be felt by our families for years to come. No matter the make-up of your family, the effects will be real and hurtful to your or someone you love.

I am not an expert on the budget. I only know what my gut tells me - and that is that our budget is being balanced on the backs of those least able to take its weight. Is this the legacy we wish to leave for our children?

There are no easy solutions and money does not grow on trees. I inderstand that; but it still angers and worries me - as a parent, as a Queer person, as a community member. I wish I had solutions. The only solution I do know is to try to raise our child as a compassionate person who thinks as well of others as she does of herself.

(posted by Shelli)

1 comment:

Mama T said...

Things are bad and in San Francisco supervisor Bevan Dufty want to take $510,000 from the Department of Children, Youth and their Families and give it to the Arts. Hmmm. I mean I love the Arts, but where are our priorities?